Friday, May 9, 2008

Mum's Sacrifice


**This post was parked in my Draff for so many days... Sorry, I was hooked up with work the whole week.

Last Friday I took off from work and I had a great time meeting up with In Houseling Mama at The Curve. Didn't bring My Monster along as I know it will be impossible for him to sit for couples of hours. Ling, decided a place to eat - TGIF. And she didn't bring her Li' Princes along.. same concept of mine!

As you already known, In Houseling Mama is expecting a second child now, she has asked me a couple of questions about breastfeeding. I'm actually very happy to hear some Mummies is so into breastfeeding nowdays. I dunno why, maybe thru my experience, I find it breastfeeding is a kind of bonding that Mummy and Baby shd have before returning to work.

Ling, I really glad you asked me about Breasfeeding. And of co'z I'm 100% support your decision on this. As you know, breasfeeding (BF) or expressing breastmilk (EBM) are Babies No. 1 choice. No doubt, it take alot of effort and determination but Every Single milk that your baby consumed are the Best for them.

And I did asked some of my successful BF frens. They investing in a good breast pump as well. So, if you ask me which Breastpump is the Best I dun really have an answer to this BUT the well known ones are Avent and Medela.

I had my first Breastpump was Medela Dual Pump which at that time cost me a boom. I think about RM550 (The price has increased now). This pump is an electronic which can pump two breast at one time. Is a good pump but it does need some practice before you get to be a Pro.

Later stage, I bought a manual pump as my sis is having a twins. So, I gave (actually I borrowed) my electric pump to her while I used the manual one. The same thing, you must do lots of practice.

I remembered, during my Confinement month (after delivery-first 30 days), My Confinement Lady wasn't very encouraging. She kept on insist that Adriel needs more milk and I am producing so little - bout 1/2 oz to one oz. I did bought a tin of supplements (juz in case I failed) in order to fulfill her wish.

On the other hand, I didn't give up. I try my very best to pump at least every 1.5hrs to 2hrs to built up my supplies. It wasn't very successful at the early stage but I told myself I can do it as my son needs my milk. You know what encourage me to do it??? Her remarks "You don't produce much enuf fr your son!" So u think I shd prove her wrong???

Finally, I decided to called up my best fren (in the beginning I was reluctant to do it but for my son sake, I shouldn't have that kind of thoughts - shyness) telling her I'm not producing much. She taught me a few steps and I'm glad I did make tis call.

After a few days, my production does increased a little but it takes time to built up. Of co'z in the beginning you will get lots of hiccups, but as time goes it will be alright. Through my experience, I only found out that, in order to built up more supplies, I need to drinks lots of water-I normally don't drink water for more than 500ml a day!!. But juz to get the best out f it, I drank almost 2litre a day.

Moral story: Never give up. I know is not easy but Determination & Support from Hubby is what you need. Tell yourself " U can do it, just need little bit of time".

**I would also like to thanks to my Hubby for giving me the encouragements. He normally will filled up two bottles of water for me everyday (during my EBM) and put at the side of the bed.

8 comments:

Serene said...

Violet, i BF my ger for 8months long.. i fully understand what you're writting here.. It is not easy to BF a bb while mother is working,.. only those had gone through the process know well!! I agree drink more water could increase milk supply. I did that too... The most I could pump out 9oz milk each time!!

Funn's said...

Great job Violet dear!

chin said...

Great job, muak muak to Violet dear for it.

SY said...

Violet dear, I am happy too to hear that Ling has intention and urge to BF her 2nd bb. I myself had been bf Yan for 18 mths. 17 mths exclusively breast milk. If I have chance to get 2nd bb, i hope i can bf he/she till 2yrs old.

Yee Ling said...

Yeah..did get lots of precious information and guidance from u, dear Violet..

I really appreciate it taking ur precious time to share a lot of great experience with me...

Thanks, dear Violet.

quEeNie said...

you have done a great job, Violet

nicole said...

Violet, very good job and thanks to sharing this experience.

twins mama said...

thanks for sharing about BF.
i'm a failure! i encounter da same prob during confinement time. i din get any encouragement from anyone. so sad :( i gave up finally. so regret now.